If You Suspect Gas Leaks, ACT NOW, It May Save Your Life or the Life of Loved Ones!
Gas leaks are dangerous. Whywait Plumbing Services have been your local, reliable and professional Gold Coast Gas Plumber and Gas Fitter solving gas leaks for 40 years, since 1976.
Leaking gas bottles, gas pipes or appliances are extremely dangerous and can be potentially life-threatening. That is why we offer a 1 hours emergency response for gas leaks as they must be taken seriously.
Non-compliant LPG cylinders with no anchoring chain preventing them from falling over and leaking potentially explosive LPG gas
A gas leak should be attended to immediately as even the smallest gas leak has potential health and safety issues. If you suspect you have a gas leak do not hesitate you need to:
- turn off the gas at your gas meter or LPG cylinder
- shut down all gas and electrical appliances including any gas pilot lights
- open all doors and windows for ventilation if it is safe to do so
- extinguish all naked flames and do not smoke
- to isolate the system by turning off the valves at your meter or LPG cylinder.
Once isolated then contact Whywait Plumbing immediately to attend to its repair but do not use your mobile phone inside to call us as it could generate a spark. A gas leak will only ever get worse it will never go away.
Signs You Have A Gas Leak
Signs that may indicate a possible gas leak in an appliance or fitting in the gas reticulation piping include the following signs:
- fluctuating flames on your cook top
- you are running out of hot water
- you are running out of gas
- the faint smell of gas
- a sudden increase in gas bill
- hissing noises from pipe joints
- flames are yellow or red
Gas isolation valve with regulator and gas meter
Natural gas is seldom hazardous as its extremely safe. Natural gas has a chemical odorant added as a safety precaution to provide a distinctive smell that allows a natural gas leak to be easily detected. Being lighter than air natural gas will quickly and harmlessly dissipate into the atmosphere in a well-ventilated area which is why if you suspect you have a leak open doors and windows.
LPG too has a chemical odorant added to assist in the detection of LPG leaks. However, LPG is heavier than air, so leaking LPG will sink to the ground or floor and take longer to dissipate. LPG is much more hazardous than natural gas. If you have the slightest suspicion that your LPG cylinders are leaking or you can detect that offensive odour inside your home or business turn off the gas at the cylinder.
When to Call 000
In extreme situations where you suspect there is a risk of your life or others and a danger to property then you should immediately call 000. An emergency would be if:
- you can detect a strong smell of gas by your meter or cylinder
- you can smell gas in the air
- if there has been an explosion or fire
- you can smell gas in a shopping centre or school or office building
- you are aware of damage to underground gas pipes either on your property or the street
Whywait Plumbing – Licensed Gas Fitters
Repairing a gas leak must always be undertaken by a licensed gas fitter with a gas certificate of compliance issued where pipes, fittings or appliances are modified or replaced.
When it comes to installing, repairing and maintaining your gas pipes & appliances you can depend on the professionalism, expertise and experience you receive from the experienced gas fitting experts at Whywait Plumbing.
For immediate help with gas fitting or any related problems in your home, restaurant or business, contact Whywait Plumbing for service as we’re available 24/7 on (07) 5580 4311